Friday, February 23, 2007

Day 3 - 02/23/2007

My mom dropped by this afternoon with my birthday present. I keep a running list throughout the year using Melon, adding to it when something strikes me. Somehow she ended up with it around Christmas-time (I didn't give it to her directly). Anyway, to make a long story short, she got me two books off the list: Eggs and Into the Wild.

Eggs is a cookbook dedicated to its namesake. I love to cook, as well as bake and am looking forward to cracking this book open. (Sorry about that.) While some might not enjoy cookbooks as one would a work of fiction (or non-fiction), to me there's nothing more satisfying than opening a cookbook and reading the recipes and thinking about the meals to come. Of course, they (hardly ever) turn out like they do in my head, but it's the overall process that I enjoy, not just the end result. (Another cookbook that I highly recommend is Shirley Corriher's Cookwise. It's part recipe, part instruction and all pleasure.)

That being said, I put it aside in favor of Into the Wild. It looks to be a quick read and I've already been sucked in. I guess that's a good thing as my current books (Alan Cooper's About Face and Jared Diamond's How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed) are both moving slowly along. As is The Chronicles of Narnia, but that's just because I'm only reading (on average) one chapter to the kids before bed. At this rate I may be done before the end of the school year and they can finally see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (which I promised they could see after I finished reading the book to them). But then what?

No comments: