Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 256 - 11/03/2007

Both M and N had their last games this morning, but both of them were at 10a, so D and I had to split up yet again. I was hoping M's game would be at noon so I could see it (due to scheduling conflicts with N's games, I could only make a handful of M's games), but even if it had, with N's end-of-the-year party scheduled for immediately after the game, I wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Overall I enjoyed the season. Mike and I talked about coaching and how it impacts the kids after the party. I shared with him what I saw on another field with another coach berating one of the kids that was sitting down in the grass. We both agreed that at this age (5-7), the kids are best served by letting them do what they want to do when they want to do it (within reason). In a few years they'll be more prone to focus on the game vs. the leaf blowing about their feet. I could see the difference between N and some of the other players on the team. (Although he's one of the biggest on the team, he's one of the younger ones, so is more apt to want to play in the dirt than watch the opposing batter miss five balls in a row.) Keeping this in the front of my mind really helped me focus on staying positive over the course of the season. Don't get me wrong, there were times I wanted to give the players what for, but it would've fallen on (mostly) deaf ears. In the end, I'm glad I took the route I took. I don't want to be remembered as "that coach" who puts winning above all else and forgets that, at this level, it's meant to be a learning experience and is not meant to be competitive.

After getting home from the game and party, I recruited a neighbor to help me pick up the rest of the boxes for N's bed. I was hoping to put it together tonight, but the kids were done and were in need of an early night. They were already going to get an extra hour of sleep from the switch back to Standard Time and we forced the issue by getting them to bed early.

Once they were in bed, D and I caught up on Tivo (Heros and The Office) after which we went our merry ways: she to bed and me to the basement to play guitar. I ended up wasting away the extra hour of sleep by staying up to watch SNL before finally going to bed. Oh well, I was at least able to get in a few hours of guitar before hitting the sack.

No comments: