Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day 273 - 11/20/2007

During my guitar lesson we reviewed barre chords for the second time. (We discussed them a few weeks ago, but I've not done much with them). Root V and root VI chords are based on which string is the bass string for the chord. Root V chords begin on the fifth string and chords use the standard A fingering position whereas root VI chords use the sixth string as the bass and use the standard E fingering position. (For more information on barre chords, check out this chapter from the Guitar book on Wikipedia.)

Now all I need to do is practice them. The best way to do that is to practice songs that I've already "mastered" (I use that term very loosely) using barre chords vs. the standard chords. While barre chords won't really help me on the acoustic guitar, they will help me with some of the trickier chords (such as the F and F#m where I'm playing multiple notes with single fingers) by strengthening my fingers.

After dinner, I returned to the basement to put together a ceiling storage unit that I designed. It's a pretty basic design in that it uses on 2x4s cut to length and some bolts. After putting it together, I calculated the cost and found it was less than $12 for all parts and supplies (vs. the $39 that the one I'm returning cost). Of course, this wouldn't work if the rafters weren't exposed, but since it's they basement, they are. I called D and the kids down to show off my handiwork. They were all impressed.

After a little more piddling around in the basement (and after putting the kids to bed), D and I sat down to watch a couple of recent Oprah episodes on hoarding. This is the second time she's had this guy on (Peter Walsh) and it's amazing to see not only the people's home (both before and after), but to get a glimpse inside their minds. One of the things that's driven home throughout the show is that hoarding isn't just caused by having a problem getting rid of things, it's more of an emotional problem. Like other addictions, hoarding can only be overcome by the hoarder him/herself and only if they want to change. Going into a hoarder's house and cleaning it for them will do nothing to change their behavior; it will just fill up again with other stuff. (I had originally used the word junk instead of stuff, but it's not necessarily junk, it's just stuff that's not being put to use.)

One thing that came into my mind as I watched this was that we've been looking at it the wrong way. We've tried to clean up and get rid of what we perceive to be useless junk, but until the person acquiring the stuff wants to get rid of it, it will continue to accumulate. No names are mentioned, but none have to be. I think most of you know who this person is that will be unnamed. We've often joked that it'll be quite a job cleaning out that house, but why not go at it now and help change an emotional attitude (and possibly foster a better relationship with the party involved) vs. pushing it to the back burner until we're forced to deal with it?

No comments: