Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Day 259 - 11/06/2007

It's election day across the country and here in Fairfax the voters have spoken. Across the county it appears the vast majority is happy with how King Connolly is driving this county into the poor house. I guess the $25 we don't have to pay in order to prove we paid our personal property taxes was enough to buy their vote.

Sure, you removed that fee and are taking credit for reducing the tax rate (which still means we're paying more in property taxes due to the increased assessments) and are for anything that means more development dollars in your pocket. You based your attack on your opponent's platform matching everything you've been trying to do for the past four years, but all you could do is say you eliminated the decal fee?!? Makes me want to holler!

Can you tell who I voted for? (Or should that be who I didn't vote for?!?)

The outcome of our state senate race is still being determined. The incumbent is ahead of his challenger by 94 votes (I'd mention their names, but I can't spell them correctly and I'm too lazy to look them up right now). I smell a recount and then when that fails to determine a definitive winner, the appeals process will begin. I'm just left wondering whether folks voted for the challenger because she wasn't the incumbent (who hails from the right of right on lots of issues) or whether they actually believed she could do the job. I guess only time will tell.

Of course, regardless of which party is in control, nothing will be done and come next election we'll be discussing the same issues. It's politics as usual in the state of Virginia and until the state constitution changes so that the local jurisdictions can manage themselves without worrying about Richmond looking over their shoulders, nothing will change, regardless of which party holds power.

No comments: