Sunday, June 3, 2007

Day 101 - 06/01/2007

A colleague and I went to lunch today. We're heading down to a customer site on Monday and needed to plan out our day. That and we were in the mood for sushi. We headed to Sho Chiku in Centreville, which has become our sushi place of choice and, again, we were not disappointed.

I was disappointed when the topic of conversation turned to his marriage. Or should I say soon to be failed marriage. He and his wife have been married for a year (we share the same anniversary) and have a daughter. (She brought a daughter from a previous relationship into the marriage.) Apparently things haven't been going well and she moved out shortly after their first anniversary. I tried to get a sense of what went wrong, but was only provided with her sense of possessiveness. While it doesn't sound like they'll work it out, I'm still holding out hope. Maybe they'll both come to understand that relationships need time to grow and that they (as a couple) need to grow with it. From what's been shared over the course of the year, it seems that neither were committed to being a couple after the wedding. They took turns in a tit-for-tat fashion when it came to doing things (vs. letting it all come out in the wash or doing things together). Looking back, I've come to realize that compromising is a great way to grow a relationship (as is sharing the same interests and goals).

I also think that sharing some kind of faith-based ideology is a key to a successful relationship. Neither of the relationships that have soured over the past year contained any iota of this, which may well have added to their destruction. I'm not saying that those without a belief system will not be able to work it out, just that having one may provide a better foundation on which to grow as a couple.

There was no Narnia read to the kids. M had a friend (attempt to) spend the night. Things were going smoothly until it was time for lights out. After about 15-20 minutes in the dark, she realized she wanted to go home and I ended up taking her home. I tried contacting her parents to let them know I'd be bringing her home, but they didn't answer the phone. I knew her dad was home as she had just spoken with him 20 minutes earlier, so I decided to drive her home anyway. As we pulled into the driveway, I saw that the front door was open and lights were on, so I walked her up to the door. It was at this point when we found the house empty. We looked on the deck, in the basement and upstairs, but no one was home. I tried their cell phones, but got no answer. Since she was tired, I told her to head upstairs to bed and I'd try and locate them and that I'd wait for them to get home if I had to.

I killed time by playing guitar (which sounded much nicer and seemed easier to finger than mine) before giving up and going next door to see if they were there. Sure enough, all three were there and, after explaining the situation to her mom, I headed back home.

Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: