Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 116 - 06/16/2007

Today was N's last game of the season. Again, he played great, both in the field and at bat. He still needs to work on catching and throwing, but he's getting the basics down and is no longer running all over the field to get the ball (a few of his teammates still move into others' positions to make the play). His hitting has come a long way since starting a few months ago. He's pretty much hitting the ball on the first attempt and getting to first base pretty quickly.

Overall, the season has been a rewarding one. The kids have grown a lot in terms of skill and friendship. Some of them should return for another season of t-ball next year, but others should move up to coach-pitch. And then there are those who should give it up and try something else. Like soccer. Or video games. You get the idea.

After the game we had the end-of-season party at the picnic area adjacent to the fields. There were donuts, bagels and muffins for all to enjoy, as well as sodas, juice and water. (There was supposed to be coffee, but the organizer felt that not many people would want hot coffee in hot weather.

Uh, hello, it's morning and you're serving donuts, bagels and muffins, but no coffee?!? If I had known that, I would've brewed myself a pot before leaving home! Arrgh! Caffeine withdrawal...must...have...caffeine!

After the kids got chocolate all over their hands and faces from the donuts, they were given their trophies. N was so excited about getting it that he couldn't contain himself. I could continue to describe his joy, but I think the below picture pretty much sums it up. (Note the chocolate about his mouth, as well as the spots on his shirt.)


After the party, he went over to the playground and then came back for his trophy so that he could show it off to the kids that were there.

For the record, I'm of the ilk that kids shouldn't get rewards for participation, but for winning. However, seeing as this is a developmental league, there is no winning or losing, just skills building. As part of the registration fee, each player receives a medal, indicating they participated in the season. For an extra fee, the teams can purchase their own trophies. Seeing as this was N's first experience in organized sports, I supported the trophy route and, after seeing how much it means to him, am glad I did. Not only did he want to take it to the pool with us, he also wanted to take down the shelves in his room and build a trophy case. Or in his words "one of those things with shelves on it with doors made of glass and lights in it to shine on my trophies." Of course, his hands were moving the entire time.

Uh, no N, not yet. The shelves you already have are more than adequate for storing your one trophy. But thanks for making me smile.

Since it's been almost two weeks since I mowed the yard last, I decided it needed to be done, so I took advantage of D and M being at a shower for Stacey and mowed the yard. N played in his room (driving his trophy around the room in the back of a pickup truck) before he got bored and went outside to play with Jimmy (who he was sure to show his trophy to).

After finishing up the yard, as well as various other outdoor chores, N and I went to the pool to relax. I was able to get in 10 laps again and felt pretty good about it. N didn't go down the slide this time, but he did take a ride around the pool on my back, which is progress. Hopefully by the end of the summer he'll be swimming on his own (as in, you know, actually swimming).

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night we went to the Knox's to enjoy the company of friends around the Tiki Bar. There were about 30 kids there (representing the 10 or so families that were there) and all of them had a great time. At one point I looked out from the deck and saw what reminded me of a swarm of ants, moving this way and that, but never bumping into each other. It was pure joy.

Speaking of pure joy (well, not really, but I had to segue somehow), I made a batch of Coco Locos for the party. I haven't nailed the recipe yet, but am getting a better handle of what's required. The last time I made them, I used the following:
  • 1/2 gallon Sunkist Orange-Pineapple-Banana Juice
  • 13.5 oz coconut milk (Grace)
  • 13.5 oz Bacardi (silver)
  • 6 oz Creme de Banana
That was pretty good, but it wasn't coconuty enough. This time, I decided on:
  • 1/2 gallon Sunkist Orange-Pineapple Juice
  • 13.5 oz coconut milk w/ pulp (not Grace, but a Thai brand)
  • 13.5 oz Bacardi (silver)
  • 6 oz Creme de Banana
This time the pulp was distracting, but it was better in terms of its coconutiness. I think the next time I make it, I'll try using Coco Ribe vs. Bacardi. Maybe that will be the ticket needed.

No comments: