Friday, June 1, 2007

Day 100 - 05/31/2007

Damn those deer!

Remember those rose bushes we bought and planted on Sunday? The ones with the nice fat buds that were just waiting to bloom (well, I'm not sure if I added that, but they had nice fat buds, just waiting to bloom). Well, the deer got them.

I went out to the car yesterday morning and, as I've done thus far this week, I checked the roses to see how they were doing. I was looking forward to seeing the biggest one in full bloom, but instead I saw...nubbins. With the exception of one, ALL of them had been eaten.

Damn those deer.

Alright, calm down. It's not the end of the world. They'll grow back. So I walked down the front walk to the driveway and noticed the lilies I had transplanted. There were a few with flower heads coming on them and...they too were gone.

Damn them! Damn them! Damn them!

So, I spent the majority of the day researching deer-proofing techniques. Until I can find one that works (or kill all the deer that are hanging around the house, which probably won't occur anytime soon), I'll stick with what is rumored to be true: pissing on the roses. Apparently urine of male meat eating humans does the trick in deterring deer. In addition to friends mentioning this, I also heard it on NPR, so it must be true -- although a quick search online doesn't show anything to substantiate this claim. I just hope the neighbors don't mind it.

:laugh:

No comments: