Friday, April 13, 2007

Day 51 - 04/12/2007

Practice was cancelled. It was raining off and on throughout the afternoon, but I'm pretty sure it was cancelled due to the lightning strikes throughout the area. Not that it matters much, the players need more than just a couple hours a week in order to get the attention their skillset requires. There are a couple that have lots of potential this season, but for the most part, I'm looking forward to a bunch of mistakes being made. Does that matter? At this age, no, but I'd hate for the kids to think that baseball isn't any fun if they don't do well. Even if this is supposed to be non-competitive, I'm sure some of the kids do want to win. Maybe I'm wrong, though, who knows. I guess we'll see at Saturday's game.

I got my results of my latest bloodwork today. They were unable to test for my cholesterol levels the first time as I hadn't been fasting. This time, I had fasted for almost 12 hours, although I had a big ol' dish of ice cream the night before about 10 hours or so before the blood was drawn (I'll have to remember to share that with Dr. Carter when I meet with him to discuss the results). Anyway, my cholesterol is high for someone my age. They'd like to see it below 100; it was 139. In December 2003 it was about 110. When I talked to Dr. Carter last, he shared this result with me and asked me whether I considered myself in better shape than then. Well, since I ran a marathon in 2003 and have had nowhere near the same amount of exercise due to my knees over the past two years, I would have to say I was not. As it turns out (or so it would seem), the numbers would back that up.

Who knows why the number is high. Is it due to genetics or cheeseburgers? I'd have to say it's a mix of both. I've been eating soup for lunch for the past few years (it's easy and cheap), but I don't know how high the cholesterol levels are. I've also made a habit out of having a bowl of ice cream on a nightly basis after the kids are in bed. I would imagine that's not the healthiest of things, but I didn't think it would be that bad. I guess I'll have to switch to sherbert, sorbet or frozen yogurt instead.

No comments: