Monday, July 30, 2007

Day 157 - 07/27/2007

I got up early and went for a bike ride to get at least one workout in before heading down to Williamsburg for the weekend. Unfortunately I got a later start than I had wanted to, so I was gone for less than an hour. I took a new route out to the parkway and then wound through Franklin Farm before heading back home.

As I said, we're heading for Williamsburg for the weekend today. We're going with some friends of ours and their kids (the Barnes family). Chris and Lori are our bowling partners and their kids (Caroline, Lindsay and Connor) are about the same ages as M and N. We're hoping all goes well as being in close quarters can wear thin sometimes.

We were planning on leaving at 9a, but got a call from Lori saying they were going to have to delay departure: Connor broke a glow-stick and got some of the liquid in his eye. Fortunately he recovered and we ended up leaving about 10a. We met up with the Barnes-mobile at Fair Lakes and split up the cars by gender: D and M rode with Lori, Caroline and Lindsay while Chris and Connor rode with N and me. It seemed to work out just fine and, after stopping for lunch at Carmel Church, we arrived at the Great Wolf Lodge about 130p. Although we couldn't check-in until 4p, we were able to use the water park, so we changed and hit the water.

If you've never been, Great Wolf Lodge is a hotel with an indoor water park. There are a number of water rides/activities so all the kids had something that suited them. Some of the rooms have "kid cabins" or "tents" in their rooms, so the kids can pretend they're roughing it. We booked the kid cabin rooms; the kids really thought it was neat. Some of the adults even thought it was neat as well!

For the most part we split up and took turns watching 1-2 of the kids at a time. N liked the water tower (with the smaller slides), while M liked the wave pool and the larger slides. Of course, before we could take in all the rides, a thunderstorm moved through the area so the pools had to be closed (even though they were all indoors, they had to turn off the pumps in case there was a power outage -- or at least that's what they said).

That being said, great fun was had by all, but by 530p or so, my back was beginning to bother me. Fortunately, the kids were getting to the end of their energy as well, so we decided to head back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Dinner was, how shall I say, disappointing (the company not-withstanding). The food wasn't all that great and the service was pretty slow. Not only did it take 15 minutes to get our drinks, but they were the wrong ones. After dinner we took the kids to the arcade, where even the grown-ups had a ball (a skee-ball, that is).

No comments: