Sunday, May 6, 2007

Day 72 - 05/03/2007

An employee working at the customer site came to my office today to go over the migration. He's under the gun from the customer to keep up with what's going on with the product so, in order to satisfy the customer, made the trip out to the office. He was running late so by the time he got there, it was time to head out to lunch. A couple of the guys on the team came with us and the four of us went to the local Thai place. During lunch he shared with us the following story:

"...So I had been out hiking one day and after getting back to my car, decided to stop by at a California Burrito for some chow. After ordering, I went over to the wall of hot sauces and decided to be daring and got down one from the black section. I settled on Dave's Hell Fire Hot Ass Sauce (or was something like that -- it had a picture of a guy with flames shooting out of his mouth and ass and smoke coming out of his ears with his eyes bulging out like they do in the Tom and Jerry cartoons when Tom [or Jerry] sees a cute cat [or mouse]) and opened the top. Suddenly, I lost my grip on the bottle and it slipped out of my hands and landed on the table. Unfortunately, it landed in such a way that some shot out of the top and squirted me right in my eye.

At first it just stung, but as the seconds passed, it got hotter and hotter. I started gyrating and squirming and moaning and rubbing my eye, but the more I rubbed, the worse it got.

I'm not sure what I looked like, but after the fact, I pictured the folks behind the counter (who couldn't see that I had squirted hot sauce in my eye) thinking they should call the cops or something, as I was squirming and moaning and shaking and rubbing my eye and just not acting right. The more I stood there, squirming and moaning and shaking and rubbing, the more it hurt. After a while, I couldn't even see and I was thinking I was hallucinating, but I can't be sure. All I knew was that I had to get my eye flushed out. I was able to see enough out of my good eye to see the soda fountain and so I went up to it and started splashing Coke in my eye in order to flush it out. Now I'm SURE they were thinking what the hell was I doing, but they never tried to stop me. (Maybe they had seen it happen before and knew the drill.) Anyway, after about three or four minutes, it finally felt good enough where I could actually stand the pain and was able to finish flushing my eye out in the bathroom."

Of course, after he tells us this story, one of my colleague makes the comment that "You flushed your eye out with Coke? That probably didn't feel good!"

"Yeah, but it felt a whole hell of a lot better than Dave's Hell Fire Hot Ass Sauce!"

We all laughed at his pain, but you've got to admit, that would've been a hoot to witness in person!

Of course, I shared this story w/ D and the kids at dinner (except I altered the name of the hot sauce, for the little pitchers with big ears at the table).

Speaking of D, she left for Chestertown this evening, so it was just me and the kids for the weekend (well, until Saturday evening anyway).

N wasn't feeling too well, so we called in sick to practice. It's better he didn't go, as we'll be at the game on Saturday and he wasn't up for going anyway. Last night he got to bed later than usual (as well as on Tuesday). Another late night and he might not be able to kick the cold he's recently picked up. It hasn't turned into a full-fledged cold (and I'm hoping it won't).

After D left, the kids got ready for bed and I read them a chapter from Narnia before putting them to bed. N was in bed around 8p, which is much sooner than he would have been had he gone to practice (and since D had left, M would've had to go as well, much to her chagrin).

M read until around 835p and turned the lights out on her own. I warned her that if I checked on her and found her lights on after a five minute grace period, she'd lose computer time this weekend. Much to my surprise (actually, I really wasn't surprised as my incentive was worth it), I heard her shut down right at 835p. (I told her lights out at 830 and, in full M fashion, she pushed it to the limit.)

After they were in bed, I settled into the couch for a night watching TV. I finished up the Deadliest Snakes show that D wasn't too keen on watching with me and then caught some hockey before hitting the sack around 11p. Butterfly missed D and cuddled up next to me, but not for much longer than usual before settling in on D's pillow (again, as she usually does).

No comments: