Friday, May 18, 2007

Day 86 - 05/17/2007

Happy Birthday, D!

Today is D's birthday. We don't celebrate it today though; instead, we celebrate it on her half-birthday. I suggested this to her a couple years ago (since it was getting overlooked due to its proximity to Mother's Day and our anniversary) and she agreed and ever since, we now celebrate it in November. I'm not sure whether this is going to confuse the kids when they grow up, but I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. For her birthday, I took her out to lunch at Sakoontra where we feasted on some good Thai food. (She had "pad thai no scallions with broccoli please" and I had "pad phed and the spice tray please." Actually, I didn't need the spice tray as it was pretty flavorful already and nothing more needed to be added.)

I was supposed to lead N's practice, but since D wasn't feeling well (allergies), I called around and got one of the other coaches to take over for me (I was taking over for Mike as it was). M had a game, so I needed to take over for D in keeping stats. Sometimes I think we try to do too much, but I don't mind (and hopefully the kids enjoy their parents being involved). We're not supposed to keep score at this level, so stats are strictly kept to determine whether they got five runs or three outs (at that point, the inning is over). With that in mind, no official score is kept so the girls are always told it ended in a tie. The focus is to teach the kids the fundamentals, but I think the competition would be good for them. That being said, I kept minimal stats on the other team (e.g., runs vs. outs scored in an inning) in case the coach wanted to see whether they needed to work on getting the outs or what. As it turned out, the score WAS tied at the end, so maybe there's something more to it than I'm aware of.

D also had bunco tonight, so it was a good thing I was able to get someone to cover for me, otherwise she would've had to go later than she wanted to (and would've had to drive as well). As we were coming home from M's game, we saw her leaving the neighborhood w/ Molly on their way to bunco.

After we got home from the game (where they actually tied), I got the kids ready for bed and started ripping CDs. I discovered that there are quite a few CDs in my collection I had yet to convert to MP3s, so I took advantage of D being at bunco and started ripping them. I'd like to have all my CDs converted to MP3s in the next few months so I can pack away all the CDs for good. I never really listen to them, except for when I'm painting, so having them out in the open is just silly.