Thursday, May 24, 2007

Day 92 - 05/23/2007

We were supposed to go to a customer site on 05/24, but, as of 430p this afternoon, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. As a condition of our visit, the on-site person was supposed to have run some jobs (that take up to 10 hours to complete). I sent the files necessary to run the job 10 days ago and he's just now getting around to run them. (We've had this on the calendar for the past 10 days.) So, more than likely, the visit won't take place (not that I was expecting it to take place...the track record of this guy just doesn't support it).

After work I continued to work on the deck. Right now I'm about 2/3 of the way done w/ the railing and spindles (which is the bulk of the work as it's somewhat detailed -- vs. the floor where all you need to do is spray it on and roll it off). Hopefully I'll have this wrapped up by the weekend so I can check it off my task list. That being said, even though it's not done yet, the deck looks much better than it did before I started staining it. (The previous owner didn't believe in washing the deck, only applying a clear seal every year, which caused it to turn a dingy gray over the years.)

Since the kids were ready for bed earlier than usual, I went ahead and read them two chapters from Narnia. We're approaching the last chapters and, like with most books, the closer you get to the end, the more you want to finish it. Actually, I'm really looking forward to getting the book done with so we can watch the movies. (D bought the box set from the BBC.) M has already seen the most recent version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but I'm guessing that'll be a bit violent for N. Although I edited the book as I've read it (e.g., changing "to kill" into "to take" and "ass" to "donkey"), for the most part, I've ready it pretty much as written. I think that while N is only five, having the story read to him and letting him use his imagination to fill in the pictures is much less intense than having the battle scenes and the violence that will accompany them plastered on the screen.

I'll finish this post off with a little joke to brighten your day:

There was a guy who loved fish and chips so much that he decided to take a tour of England, documenting the best places to find fish and chips. Once the tour was over, he would publish his findings as a travel guide.

He drove all over England, eating fish and chips and taking copious amounts of notes. One day, nearing the end of his trip, he stopped in a pub in a small town and shared his story with some of his fellow patrons. All agreed that for the best fish and chips, he should go to the monastery just outside town. They served the best fish and chips in all of England.

The next day, the guy headed out to the monastery and knocked on the front door. When the abbot answered, the man explained the purpose for his visit and was immediately invited in for a meal. The abbot seated him at their dining table and told him he'd be back shortly.

After 10-15 minutes, the abbot returned with a large plate of fish and chips. He served the man and when he tried them, he had to agree with the folks in the pub: These were the best fish and chips in all of England. Wanting to express his enthusiasm with the cook, he insisted that he meet whoever was responsible for the meal.

The abbot went back into the kitchen and a couple minutes later came out with another man of the cloth.

"These are the best fish and chips I've ever tasted," the man exclaimed to the cook. "And I've tasted quite a bit on the travels throughout England! You should be proud of yourself!"

"Oh, I can't take all the credit," the cook responded, "I didn't cook the entire meal."

"Well, then, where is your partner?" the writer asked.

"Right here," the monk answered, pointing to the abbot. "He's the fish friar, and I'm the chip monk."

:wink:

No comments: