Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Day 166 - 08/05/2007

Before leaving Chestertown, the kids and I headed back to the dock to do some more fishing. I hadn't gotten enough on our previous outing and knew there were a couple more with our names on them. M wasn't too sure about how good chicken livers would work, but after she saw me pull a few catfish out of the river on Saturday, she was more than willing to try it out (although I still had to put the bait on her hook). Like yesterday, we were soon catching fish. The only problem was that we didn't have a net so when we tried to land the fish, we broke a few lines. Oh well, they were going to head back to the water anyway. Should we go down there again, we'll have to be sure to bring a net (and donate it to the cause).

After we got our fishing fix out of us, we packed up the cars and started the drive back home. We weren't sure what the traffic would be like, but fortunately it wasn't bad at all. The only backup we had was going over the bridge. It wasn't backed up per se, it was just heavier and, of course, traffic slowed down as it went over the bridge.

On the way home we stopped for lunch and, lo and behold, ran into our old neighbors Tom and Teri. They had gone to Ocean City for the week to celebrate Ryan's 16th birthday. It was quite unexpected (as you could guess). We seem to see them all over the place: we ran into them at a store in the area awhile back, as well as running into Ryan at the bowling alley. We chatted briefly before getting back on the road.

What was funny was that when we first stopped for lunch, I went to use the restroom. As I was standing there, some kids walked in and one of them mentioned seeing his old neighbor outside. I thought hmmmmm, I guess it's not just us that run into people in out of the way places and continued with my business. On my way out of the bathroom, I walked right past Tom and Teri and realized that must've been Ryan in the bathroom making that comment. It is strange, though, how often we run into them considering the size of the area. We still stay in touch with them, but typically it's only to watch their guinea pigs when they go out of town. I wonder where we'll meet again.

It reinforces the interconnectedness we all have and reinforces the whole six degrees of separation theory. (Although, more accurately, this has nothing to do with that, it's just a coincidence that we were in the same point in the time-space continuum.) It's amazing that with so many people in this world, we run into people we know (or people who know people we know) everywhere we go. A couple other recent sightings occurred this week: One was at Great Wolf Lodge where I ran into a guy I went to high school with and the other was at RFK at the Nats game where I ran into another friend from high school.

No comments: