Thursday, August 30, 2007

Day 189 - 08/28/2007

Tonight was the first practice of the Fall baseball season. D dropped M off at softball practice and N and I rode up to his practice. As it turns out, there are quite a few dads that were in attendance who volunteered to help out on an as needed basis. I counted 10 kids and 7 dads. (There would have been 8, but one of the kid's dad felt he had to catch up on his newspaper reading and cell-phone chatting vs. helping his son play ball. This isn't new; he was on the team last year and did the same thing.) I'm the batting coach again and felt the kids did pretty well. N was excited about being pitched to vs. hitting the ball off the tee. Overall, the kids seemed to have a fun time and we're looking forward to another fun season.

After practice, N and I hit the bike store for another pair of inner tubes. I discovered that one of the reasons why my tires felt like I was riding on a sponge was because the inner tubes were too small for the tire. Whoops! As it turned out, that was only part of the reason. The other reason was because some of the spokes on the rear wheel were way too loose (while their counterparts were way too tight). I was able to fix the problem and rode around the court at 945p testing my mad bicycle fixing skills. Much to my surprise, one of my neighbors was out. I'm sure she was wondering what I was doing, but I didn't care. I had fixed the problem and was a happy camper!

After D got home, I read a bit of Angels and Demons. I'm really into this book and am looking to finish it within the next few days. (Hopefully by Thursday as that'll have been one week since I started it.) I typically don't read books this fast, but I also typically don't read fiction. Every once in a while, though, a good beach novel is what you need to escape from your everyday reality.

No comments: