Thursday, August 9, 2007

Day 169 - 08/08/2007

Nothing worthwhile happened over the course of the day that deserves any mention. I got up, got ready for work, went to work, worked, came home, changed into my evening attire, made dinner, ate dinner and then went and got gas in the van at BJ's ($2.60 per gallon of unleaded).

The real excitement started after returning from gassing up the van. We watched...

...The Princess Bride.

We finished the book last week and I ordered it from Amazon on Monday. I was hoping to save it for the weekend, but the kids talked me into watching it tonight. It's been years since I last watched it and probably enjoyed it even more with the family on the couch. For the most part, the four of us laughed our way through the movie. Some parts, however, were a bit over the top with regard to intensity for the kids. During these portions of the movie, I felt a little uncomfortable having the kids (especially N) watch it. Since they were familiar with the story from reading the book, however, I looked past it. The one part that wasn't in the book (when Inigo Montoya calls Count Rugen an S.O.B.) took me by surprise though; I wasn't expecting it at all. I've since found out there's a section on IMDB entries that contain information pertaining to the different sections of the ratings. This contained a reference to this dialog and, had I read it, I would've been aware of it and avoided it either by fast forwarding the movie or muting it during that scene.

Live and learn I guess. Hopefully neither M nor M will take up using that phrase, but if they do, they will be quickly taught right from wrong. So far, neither one of them have used profanity in our presence, but that doesn't mean they haven't been exposed elsewhere. Well, N I'm pretty sure hasn't, otherwise he probably would have. He's not old enough to know what to filter. I recall learning the verboten words back in 1st grade, but I also knew well-enough not to use them in front of my parents. (I also probably didn't know what they meant until years later, but I knew that they weren't acceptable.)

No comments: