Sunday, March 18, 2007

Day 26 - 03/18/2007

Woke up, at around noon, knew I had to be in Compton soon, had to get....wait, that's not what happened. (Well, I did wake up, but it was around 1030a vs. noon.)

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across, that's not it either.

Well, with the kids down in Fred for the night and our late night escapades, niether D nor I woke up at the crack of dawn. The crack of 1030a was more like it. I told D that I wished it was 930a and when she asked why, I told her it was so I could sleep in another hour.

I dragged myself into the shower to wash off the remnants of last night. Surprisingly, I felt pretty good (I say surprisingly since as we were getting ready to go, a couple shooters made their way down my gullet). We headed down to pick the kids up around noon and after a quick visit, were back on the road around 2p. M had a Brownie event at 330p and N had a birthday to go to at 4p, so we didn't have much wiggle room. Fortunately traffic was moving (although it was heavy) and we made it home just in time for M to grab her vest before leaving again to drop her off.

Before leaving to pick the kids up, I spied the leftover biscuits on the microwave from the other night. Being sort of hungry (I hadn't had breakfast yet), yet still feeling the effects from the night before, I decided I should make some ham and cheese biscuits. I cut each of the three in half and put some ham on them before placing them in the toaster oven for a few minutes. I then got some chipotle cheddar and put that on top of the ham and put them back in the oven for a couple more minutes. When they were done, I spread some chipotle mustard on them and took a bite. Wow. They were muy delicioso! The bread was nice and soft and moist and the ham was just the right temperature and the cheese had melted just the right amount. I'll have to remember that next time we have leftover biscuits!

D took N over to the birthday party (at Chuck E. Cheese's); I met them up there later after picking up M from Brownies and we hung there for a while until all tokens were consumed. There was no kicking and screaming to leave like there was last time, which was good for me as I was running on fumes. (D left to go visit with Maria at Arlington Hospital where her mother is in ICU after having a stroke.) We got home and played trains a little until bath time. Being the lazy guy that I sometimes can be, I stopped playing trains and let M and N play for a little while longer before sending them up for a bath (again, while I read the paper).

Bathtime came and went and after they got ready for bed, we settled in for a chapter of Narnia, afterwhich songs were sung (Promised Land, Me and Bobby McGee and's that for sweet lullabyes?) and the kids were put to bed. As usual, N went down as quiet as ever and, as usual, M is still up there whimpering that she misses her mommy (D is still at the hospital) and that she can't sleep and yada yada yada. What I wouldn't give for her to start going to bed like her brother on a more regular basis. Admittedly, she has improved since I let her in on the secret of just saying "OK" when told that it was time for lights out. The secret is that she has the green light to finish reading the chapter, page, sentence, whatever it is that she was going to ask to finish, but that the lights should be out within the next five minutes. Giving her that little bit of self-authorization has led to much better vibes around the house come bedtime.

No comments: