Friday, December 7, 2007

Day 289 - 12/06/2007

There's a piece in the Washington Post that talked about the snowstorm that came through the other day. I added my 2¢ to the comments section as follows:

"Since we don't get many winter storms in this area, let's just all accept that there will be difficulties and move on with our lives.

I could understand the frustration if this was a weekly occurrence, but, for the most part, it's a once every few months occurrence in the winter.

Furthermore, I would add that it doesn't take a couple inches of snow to make the roads chock full of congestion. Look at the roads when it rains. I don't see any complaints about the various DOTs not doing a good enough job to alleviate traffic during those conditions (and we have a LOT more rainy days than we do snowy days in these here parts)."

I don't get it. It's not like the roads are going to magically expand to accept everyone on the roads at once (and going slower than usual). Even if the various DOTs had gotten their shit together and cleared the roads, they'd still be wet and has been proven every time it rains around here, people drive slower in the rain.

Of course, no one wants to accept responsibility (or reality). Instead, they would rather blame someone else. It took me about 45 minutes to get to work, but guess what? It was my fault. Yes, that's right: it was my fault. Had I not gone down 28 and instead cut through Greenbriar over to 50, I would have gotten to work in less than 20 minutes. Lesson learned.

In other news, I skipped reading to the kids as M was sent to her room for continually disobeying our request to finish the dishes. Her hemming and hawing on doing chores is getting old. If we don't tell her exactly what to do, she'll only do what she thought she heard. Tonight it was doing the dishes. She didn't realize that wiping the table was part of doing the dishes even though we told her about 20 times! Oh well, she paid the price by being sent to her room early and didn't get to participate in book-time. I read N "The Cat in the Hat" instead.

No comments: