Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day 291 - 12/08/2007

Today's the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is a Holy Day of Obligation. I had meant to go to vigil Mass last night, but didn't get back from the hospital in time. Instead, I went to 10a and D went to noon Mass. I had always thought that this was when Jesus was conceived, but it's when Mary was conceived. (I guess I wasn't listening or it wasn't reviewed in depth during my RCIA classes, otherwise I should have known this.) Listening to Father Beres during his homily, however, allowed me to better understand why we, as Catholics, pray to Mary. As Father said, she's a conduit to Christ himself and will intercede on our behalf.

After dropping D off at Mass, the kids and I went over to pay for the work done on the Altima. The shop closed at 1p today (vs. 4p, which they told me yesterday), so we had to do some creative thinking in coming up with an alternative to leaving the car in the shop until Monday. After paying for the car, I took the kids over to the Dollar Village for them to do their Christmas shopping thinking it was a dollar store.

It was not.

I don't think there was anything in there that was a dollar. Since we were there, I went ahead and let them shop for their presents. The kids have been doing this for a few years now and it's become a tradition that they go out and pick out the presents for everyone they're buying for (vs. me or D picking them out). After perusing the store and picking out the various items, we headed up front to check out. Much to my surprise, the total came to almost $70! Egads! There's no way I was going to pay that much, so I apologized and told the woman we wouldn't be getting anything. She seemed unfazed by that decision; maybe she gets it enough that it's become part of her everyday routine.

The kids weren't happy, though, so I told them we'd hit the Dollar Tree in Springfield this weekend. (We went there last year and were quite impressed...well, as impressed as you can be with a dollar store.)

Doug, Nancy and Michael came up to drop off some Christmas clothes for the kids. M's dress fit just fine, but N's outfits (save a sweater vest) were too small. After visiting for a while (including taking Michael and the kids on the neighborhood hayride), they left to go visit Rudy at the hospital. We were going to go with them, but it got too late, so we decided to go tomorrow.

No comments: