Monday, December 31, 2007

Day 313 - 12/30/2007

After going to 1045a Mass, the kids and I ate lunch and headed over to Springfield. They were going to go to a movie with Grandma while I hung out at the house visiting with Rudy (and watching football). D met Maria for lunch, so we all had plans over the course of the afternoon.

Mom and the kids got back from the movies just after the 'Skins game started (vs. Dallas). They were playing like I haven't seen them play in years. Not only did they end up winning the game, but they dominated it the whole way through. (Don't let folks tell you Dallas wasn't trying to win the game, they had their starters out there for the better part of the game, even though it was meaningless to them. Had they not cared about it, they wouldn't have had their starters out there.)

After the game and getting the kids put to bed, I headed over to Falls Church to see the New Potato Caboose put on a reunion show at the State Theater. It's been years since I've seen them and was looking forward to seeing them again. Not only seeing them, but also seeing some friends from high school I hadn't seen in a year or so. As it turned out, Leah didn't make it home, so I didn't get to see her. Brian was there, however, so we chatted and hung out for a while. Larry and Joan were there as well (he was the one who told me about the show, so I knew I'd be seeing him). I also ran into a fraternity brother of mine from Mason, a guy I used to play lacrosse with at Mason and Dude-Man, one of the bartenders I used to work with at Fat's. It was like old home week all over again.

Larry and Joan left shortly after the first set was over and I left shortly after the second set started. During intermission I went up to the balcony and observed the scene below. I was having a harder and harder time convincing myself to stay. I really don't know why, but I just didn't feel like staying. I decided to wait a little longer, to see if I would change my mind and climbed on the fence, teetering between leaving and staying, while the crowd did their thing below waiting for the band to begin playing. After opening the second set with "Me and Julio," they immediately went into "Uncle John's Band" and followed that up with "Brokedown Palace." That was all I needed to make my decision; I left.

I surprised D by arriving home so early, but when I explained to her why I left, she told me that Maria, when asked whether she was going to the show or not, told D that "that was a time in my life in my past and that's where I'm going to leave it." I wish I had done the same. Not that I didn't enjoy myself, but it's not where I belong anymore.

No comments: