Friday, January 4, 2008

Day 317 - 01/03/2008

Well, as much as we tried, we just couldn't get out the door. I overslept (I vaguely recall turning the alarm off) and the kids were anything but jumping out of bed when I tried to wake them up. I'm not sure if M's alarm went off or not, but if it did, it didn't wake her up. By the time we were out the door and off to school, they were late. I'll have to check the time on the wall clock in the kitchen as that's what I was going by. It appears it's ten minutes slow, though, so maybe I should check the time by committee (e.g., use the oven, microwave and my watch as well).

In the rush to get out of the house, I couldn't find my glasses and I couldn't take the time to search for them. Before heading to bed last night, I put them on the counter where my crap is kept during the week. This morning, however, they weren't there. I did a quick search through the basement and upstairs, but couldn't find them. With that in mind, I made sure to leave early enough from work so I could wear my sunglasses on my way home from work before it got too dark. While they'll work at night, I don't want to channel the likes of Corey Hart as I'm driving down the road.

With the winter weather moving in, I had an itch to get out and run in it all afternoon. Since I was home early and there were no concrete dinner plans (leftovers for the kids, fending for the adults), I decided to hit the road for a run. I layered properly to combat the cold, but failed to wear a neck warmer (which also doubles as a face guard if I so desired). I also failed to keep an acceptable pace while I warmed up and I paid for it: A half mile down the road I had to stop and walk while I worked out some side stitches. Two or three minutes later I was running again, but the damage was done. I ended up barely going 2.5 miles. While I was glad I did it after I was done, I wasn't too happy with the result. After getting home, my throat was raw from the cold. Next time I'll make sure I'm properly outfitted.

After putting the kids to bed (reading them the short story adaptation of "Babes in Toyland" from Disney's Fantasyland anthology), D and I retired to the basement where I played "Sloop John B" for her on the guitar. I was playing around the other day and came across part of the chord progression. They seemed pretty easy so I downloaded the full chords and lyrics yesterday and picked it up pretty easily. D thought I played it a little too fast, but it was even. I worked on slowing it down some and with a little more practice, will have it down pat.

No comments: