Sunday, January 20, 2008

Day 333 - 01/19/2008

Since N's party isn't until later tonight, he and I went downtown to the Museum of Natural History to see dinosaur bones. He's studying dinosaurs in school and asked last night if we could go to the museum today. M is going over to Haley's house (who she went to day care with all those years ago) for the day, so I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity.

We got downtown around 10a and, after circling for what seemed like an hour, we finally resorted to parking in a garage about ½ mile from the museum. N didn't like that one bit, but he didn't complain too much. After a brief jaunt through the dinosaur exhibit, he was hungry for lunch. I tried to stall him, but the boy had lunch on his mind. We finally made it to the cafeteria and sat down for a delicious lunch of museum pizza.

Sitting there, eating our pizza, enjoying a man-to-man conversation about why there were two Coca Cola machines and why there were no lids to the soda cups, I was reminded of the trip D and I took to London to see the Cure. I won the trip on the radio (actually, D won the trip...but to be really accurate, I won the trip pretending to be D because I was ineligible). Anyway, I was reminded of that trip because that was the only time in my entire life that I've eaten pizza worse than the pizza I had for lunch.

It was bad. Oh, so bad. I don't recommend it.

As people walked by our table, I looked at their trays with envy. Oh man, I could have gotten a sandwich! I thought as someone walked by with what looked like a pint-sized Dagwood.

Everyone's food looked better than mine. Oh well, I bought it and now I've got to take care of it. And seeing as I was hungry, I did take care of it: I ate all but the crust.

After lunch we headed upstairs to the Insect Zoo, where we saw all sorts of things.

Centipedes. Millipedes. Spiders. Hissing Cockroaches from Madagascar (see below). All things a five year old boy should see.


After the Insect Zoo, we decided to head to the Museum of American History to see the train they have there. Unfortunately, it's closed for renovation and won't reopen until this summer. So, with that not possible, we decided to head over to the zoo to see the more things a five year old boy should see, like crocodiles, lions, tigers and the gorillas. He wasn't impressed with the gorillas.

But he was impressed with the reptile house. We probably spent the majority of the hour we had in the reptile house, making sure we found each and every one of the animals on display. While there, I was reminded of Stephen and his fondness for cupcakes. We joke that when he eats cupcakes, he unhinges his jaw (sort of like a snake) so that he can fit the entire cupcake in at once.

Well, I found Stephen's dream jaw:


As you can see, not only would it accommodate a cupcake, but a whole loaf of bread!

After our whirlwind tour, we made it back to the car about five minutes before the hour was up. They started charging for parking a couple years back and after the first hour (at $4), the price jumps up to $12. I wasn't about to pay that.

We left the zoo and made it home in time to relax before heading back to Pump It Up for another party. I should have stayed longer than I had so I wouldn't have had to turn around shortly after getting home. N wasn't feeling it and wanted to head home.

No comments: